If you think you have an infestation of roof rats in your home, it’s best to contact a professional pest control service. They will be able to examine your home, identify the signs of a roof rat invasion and provide advice on how to best get rid of them. Pest control can provide various solutions, such as traps, rat poison, and removal of any access points the rats have been using to get into your home. Additionally, they can help prevent the rats from returning in the future.
Signs of a Roof Rat Infestation
Roof rats are typically black or brown and measure about six to eight inches long (not including their tail). They are so named because they are often found in attics and roofs, as they are adept climbers and can fit through small openings. These rats enter homes by squeezing through tiny cracks and crevices.
Here are five of the most common signs of a roof rat infestation:
1. Strange noises from your attic or walls could signify that roof rats have made their way into your home.
2. Roof rats leave behind feces similar in size and shape to mouse droppings. These droppings have a spindle-like shape and are usually black.
3. If you find wood that looks like it has been chewed on in your attic, you will likely have a roof rat infestation. The telltale signs of gnawing are a sure sign of roof rats.
4. Roof rats will create shelter from insulation and other materials they find in your attic. They will use these materials to form a nest-like structure.
5. If you notice small tracks in dusty parts of your house, it could signify that you have roof rats in your home. These tracks are usually footprints or tail marks left behind by the rats.
Eliminating and Preventing a Roof Rat Infestation
Getting rid of roof rats can be challenging, but protecting your home and family is necessary. Roof rats can cause a lot of damage and spread diseases, so it’s important to take steps to prevent them from entering your home. Some prevention methods include sealing off any potential entry points and keeping food sources away from your home. Additionally, traps can be set up to help capture any rats that find their way into your home.
Block up any openings or gaps outside your residence and seal off any cracks in the walls or foundation and any holes around pipes and wires. Additionally, eliminate any food sources that could be attractive to them. This includes wiping down any residue from the kitchen counter and storing food in airtight containers. Also, keep your yard free of clutter or debris, as rats like to nest in these areas.
Roof rats are an invasive species that can be very difficult to eliminate once they have established themselves in a home. It is important to recognize the signs of a roof rat infestation, so appropriate measures can be taken to eradicate the problem. By being proactive about the potential signs of a roof rat infestation, homeowners can help to protect their homes from the damage and destruction that this invasive species can cause.
RidX Pest Control provides top pest control, treatment, and protection against any and all pest types. Dealing with pests in your home or business can be annoying and unsanitary, which is why our pest control technicians are a call away. If you need rodent removal services, give us a call at (888) 298-7513!